11.9.13

be a first rate version of yourself rather than a second rate version of anybody else

Hello blogging world! Since my last post, something very significant has happened. Summer has ended and alas, I have gone back to school. I'm in Year 12 now and have started my first year of the IB Diploma. So if you don't hear from me for a long time, it's probably because I'm drowning in an ocean of homework/exam preparation/IA's. If you're also starting IB, drop by the comments section and join the IB Bloggers Support Group! We should actually make that a real thing- maybe we could get CAS for it.

Anyway, enough with all of the IB jargon and onto the actual topic of this post.


After three months spent in the company of only our family and our close friends, we've all been ushered back into a group of hundreds of people around our age. With so many people around, it can be more difficult to be yourself. As teenagers, we're still struggling to find out who we really are and sometimes when we're in large groups of our peers, we find it easier to simply follow the crowd instead of being our own person. Why? Well, there's probably some long, complicated psychological reason, but I've only been taking psych for a week, so I don't know about that yet. I'll get back to you. But in my understanding, I think it's because we don't want to attract unwanted attention. We think that doing what everyone else is doing is "cool" and the right thing to do, when really, it probably isn't.

A good example to use has to do with fashion. A lot of people read fashion magazines such as Vogue and Elle religiously, keeping track with the latest styles. There's nothing wrong with this. It does become a problem, however, when people choose to follow fashion blindly. They think that if they wear what they see models wearing in magazines, they will instantly look as good as said model and become as successful. Most of the time, this isn't true- the clothes or styles may not even suit them. Everyone looks different- we all have different body types, different faces and different hair colours. As mentioned in an excellent article by Victoria Lewis in a 2012 issue of Teen Vogue, just because you wear designer clothes does not mean that you look good. It's about how you put things together.

If you follow fashion blindly, chances are that you'll just end up looking like everyone else. In my opinion, it's far better to establish your own style. This could take anywhere from a few days, to a few months to a few years as it involves a lot of experimenting. But by creating your own unique style, you will be wearing what you look good in and what you feel comfortable in, instead of just wearing what everyone else is wearing. Think of style icons such as Audrey Hepburn, Madonna and Tavi Gevinson. They didn't follow a particular set of rules- instead they wore what they knew suited them without really caring about what other people think.

I almost burst out crying, this picture is so beautiful.
Moving away from fashion and back into a general idea of things, we can see that it's a lot better to be yourself rather than following everyone else. Why should you change yourself to fit someone else's idea of 'cool' or 'normal'? To repeat a common phrase, you are unique and no one can take that away from you. Throughout history there have always been people who chose to break away from the pack and stick to their own ideas and beliefs, no matter how much they may have been ridiculed at the time, and those are the people who have been extremely successful. For example, in school, Bill Gates was considered to be 'the nerdy kid' and look at where he is today. A more historical example would be Vincent Van Gogh, who kept painting even though his artwork went unappreciated until after he died. Several famous figures whom we look up to today are those who refused to change themselves.

When you are yourself, it's likely that other people will slowly start to follow you. Be a leader, instead of a follower. As Oscar Wilde said: "be yourself; everybody else is already taken."

8 comments:

  1. you express yourself very well with your writing, I agree with you completely. When I was a teenager I wasted a lot of time trying to copy other people's style or look, which obviously never worked. I'm 22 now and finally I feel comfortable enough in my own skin to just wear whatever I like and not think about it. I still have loads of insecurities, but I don't try to imitate anyone any more, I don't feel the need.

    High school sounds rough, to be honest. I never went, I was home-educated by hippy parents. But I do empathise <3 xx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in school I wanted to be accepted but not... at the same time... so I sort of stuck with the 'emo/goth' look and hung around with those type of people. See, I still thought I was being cool and original but I wasn't and I did indeed look like a mess. Now I wear what I want but I guess it's all a part of growing up really.

    And I cannot even describe how much it irritates me when people are dressed head to toe in designer clothing and they think they look so good but they don't.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it irritates me to death! I firmly believe that it's more about the way you put the clothes together and how you carry yourself while you're wearing those clothes that makes you look amazing.

      Delete
  3. Hey, thanks for checking out both my blogs and leaving comments :)

    This post is interesting... my best friend and I always critique celebrities' clothing - just because they have the money to buy designer clothes doesn't mean they wear them well or have good style!

    http://www.ifellfromlalaland.blogspot.com
    http://www.thosefleetingmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im agree with you, you right, sooner you understand it the better ! Im 8teen and I guess from like 10 to like 18 it's the hardest periode for teenagers, they have to fight against lot of things and try to find who they fast because if they don't, other people can be really mean at them. So just be yourself in every kind of situation is the best advice you can give to someone, and the second is def don't be afraid to be different !

    Really nice post, sorry for my english, im french :/


    Bisous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. agree with all that u say..amazing post sweety!

    will be very big pleasure if u want to follow each other..like this we can keep in touch! ;))
    blog: http://honeyandcotton.org/
    facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Honeyandcotton-Fashion-Blogger/422547954496955?fref=ts
    bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6757331te
    g+:https://plus.google.com/108626334220279846676/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really beautiful and I wish I could tell this to every single person on this planet. It's really terrible how everyone is always striving to be like everyone else. The world just becomes this boring planet filled with media influenced zombies and it's really no fun. If people started to accept their true selves, I think the world would start to show color again :)

    ReplyDelete